Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Running Late!

I'm behind on some things and on schedule with my knitting! I joined Sock It To Me Twice swap because I enjoyed the first swap soooooooo much. I've been out of town, so I need to do some catchup. So here's my questionaire:

The Questions
How long have you been knitting? Do you consider yourself beginner, intermediate, advanced?
Learned to knit VERY young & knitted off and on all my life--got really serious when I retired. I consider myself to be intermediate in most knitting and advanced in a few things.
How long have you been knitting socks? Knit my first pair in the 50's. After high school, I didn't knit another sock until 2003. This year I have knit about 20 pair!
What are your favorite fibers to work with? Natural fibers-BUT 100% cotton only in rare cases (you know, the stuff that looks like string?) I don't mind synthetics blended with naturals.
What is your favorite color? BLUE (and anything related)
What are your current WIPs (works in progress)? Christmas sox for dh; dorm sox (about 15 pair) for g-kids for Christmas; sweater for me; afghan; beaded scarf (one for me and one for my sister); There are a few others, but they are hibernating for now.
Name your favorite yarns, (brand, fibers, colors, etc.). Knit Picks (so far I've liked everything I've ordered); Colinette Jitterbug (wonderful for sox); Cherrytree Hill Farm superwash merino (also wonderful for sox); Berroco; Rowan; Cascade 220. Isn't it great that we have sooooooo many choices!
What are some yarns/fibers that you stay away from. 100% acrylic. 100% cotton (you know, the one that looks like string!)
What is your family situation? (Married, kids, pets?) My husband and I are both retired and living on the Central Coast of California. One of our granddaughters lives with us. She is in her first year of College. No pets. Balance of children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren (2) are scattered over four states.
Name some of your hobbies. Knitting (duh!), quilting, reading, papercrafts.
Name some of your favorite movies? I'm a fan of old movies--anything with Cary Grant, Ingrid Bergman, Bogie and Bacall. Right now I'm watching a series of "Perry Mason" movies that were made in the mid-30's.
Do you like to read? Yes, fiction, non-fiction, how-to. Don't have a favorite author.
Do you collect anything? I have a nice collection of Fostoria glassware I inherited from my grandmother. I've added one piece of my own so far. We lived next door to my grandparents, so I feel very much like I grew up with the Fostoria. She brought it out for every Sunday dinner and holidays!
I also collect angels. Mostly ornaments for the Christmas tree. I've been doing so for over 35 years. I have handmade, storebought, angels commemorating trips and special events. There are only angels on my Christmas tree. (I've never counted how many I have.)
Do you own an iPod or mp3 player? I own an iPod--still learning the "ins and outs."
What are your favorite type of knitting needles? I am "in love" with my KP Harmony wood circs and dps. Wood is my fave, BUT I have others because wood doesn't work with every yarn.
What knitting notion could you not live without? My lamb tape measure.
Who are some of your favorite designers? Don't really have any favorites.
Do you subscribe to any magazines? (Knitting or otherwise.) Interweave Knits, Cast-On, Real Simple, Martha Stewart Living.
When is your birthday? July 25
Do you have a "wishlist", (on Ravelry, Froogle, or Amazon)? NO--Good idea!
Do you have a Ravelry ID? yes--don't want to reveal it yet.
If you had a sheep, what would you name it? BaaBoo.
________________

OK, that was lengthy. I've been working on socks for dh. I'm using Austermann Step for the first time. Nice yarn, and I love the "manly" colors and the subtle color changes. I'm making a beautiful beaded scarf for my sister for her birthday (2 days after Christmas). I'm using Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece. Nice yarn--works up easily--if you're looking for something "cotton," this is a nice choice. The 20% merino content makes it much more user friendly, but it still looks and feels like very high quality cotton. As soon as I find the (misplaced) pattern, I'll post the info as it is still available.
I've gotten a chance to use up all that left over Ultra Alpaca from the tote bag exchange tote. The bag used about 12 colors and I had maybe 3/4 ea. of most of the skeins left. In my needlearts class, we are doing a cable mystery afghan-----soooooooo, every square in the afghan is a different color of ultra alpaca. This will be a warm one! We're learning lots about cables, traveling, twisted stitches, etc. FUN!
I'm making slow but steady progress on my sweater. I should be able to wear it next winter. I bought yarn to do another pair of the fairisle gloves. Kathy has also designed a gauntlet version. I'll probably do that one, too! I've also acquired several yarns I've never worked with to try out--Some Trekking, KP Risata and Frog Tree alpaca. OOOOOOOOOO, more projects on the horizon!
Got to move on and finish my catchup. I'll post pics later and talk a little more!!!

Keep Knitting, Sherry

No comments: